The enactment of Republic Act 6975, otherwise known as the Department of Interior and Local Government Act of 1990 which took effect on January 1, 1991 paved the way for the establishment of the Philippine National Police (PNP), Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) and Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) as separate entities. Specifically, the Fire Bureau’s charter was created under Chapter IV (Section 53 to 59) and carried-out through the provisions of Rule VII (Sections 49 to 58) of the Implementing Rules and Regulations of the said law. The organization was then placed under the direct supervision of the DILG Undersecretary for Peace and Order. The succeeding approval of the Appropriation Act of 1991 has also caused the inaugural operation of the Bureau of Fire Protection on August 2, 1991 as a distinct agency of the government, with its initial preparation of Operation Plans and Budget (OPB) undertaken by the staff of the Office of the National Chief Fire Marshal at Camp Crame, Quezon City headed by then F/Brigadier General Ernesto Madriaga, INP (1990-1992) that took over from the long reign of F/Major Primo D Cordeta (Ret.) the first Chief Fire Marshal (1978-1989). Gen. Madriagaserved as the BFP first Acting Fire Chief/Director from 1991 to 1992. BFP is responsible for ensuring public safety through prevention and/or suppression of all destructive fires on buildings, houses, and other similar structure, forests, and land transportation vehicles and equipment, ships/vessels docked at piers, wharves or anchored at major seaports, petroleum industry installations. It is also responsible for the enforcement of the Fire Code of the Philippines (PD 1185) and other related laws, conduct investigations involving fire incidents and causes thereof including the filing of appropriate complaints/cases